Thursday, June 25, 2015

Entry #4 -- A Poet and Didn't Know It



Even when I read this title I think, “Oh good grief…can’t she do better than that?” Unfortunately it all too well clearly demonstrates my entire poetical ability.  Now don’t get me wrong, I love reading the poetry of others—clearly my own writing skills belong in a different genre.  My worst poetry crisis occurred only four years ago.  There we were, sitting in our Welcome-Back-to-School first staff meeting of the year.  Our principal gave us the assignment. We were to create a poem about ourselves, publish it on paper of school colors, and post it outside our door just under our name plate.  The purpose was to make ourselves more personable to our students and parents—a way to communicate to them who we were. Immediately the “test-phobe” side of me began to squirm.  (A teacher with test-phobia…now there’s some irony!) Less than two days—how will I finish in time?  What should the finished product look like?  What if people think I’m a dork? I don’t even remember the rest of the staff meeting because I was consumed with dread, anxiety, and even stubborn rebellion.

Midnight prior to the first day of school, most teachers were getting a good night’s rest in preparation for the next day.   I, on the other hand, was at the breakfast counter with a drained cup of old coffee and a blank sheet in front of me. Then I whined out the most self-centered prayer I can ever remember praying:  Dear God, Why can’t I write this stupid little poem about myself? I even have a template, and all I have to do is fill in a few adjectives, adverbs, names, and places.  What’s wrong with me? Why can’t I just get this done and go to bed?

I’ll never fully grasp nor understand the wonderful mercy of our gracious Heavenly Father!
He immediately answered my pathetic little prayer:

“And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”   Colossians 3:17 (NIV)
“Whatever you do, work at it with all you heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.  It is the Lord Christ you are serving.”  Colossians 3:23, 24 (NIV)

Hesitatingly, nervously, I once again picked up my pencil and began to fill in the blanks. It clicked. Was it my mechanical pencil that clicked? No, I think it was the hard shell around my heart that clicked when it cracked…my heart was beginning to soften and melt within me.  I began to realize the wonderful collection of words, names, places, and events that my Heavenly Father arranged to make me into the best ME possible.  This was His specific design for me.

Truly Blessed by a Loving Heavenly Father
By
Dotty Willmon

I am from quilting needles and knitting needles; from Plymouth Rock and the rock-bound coast of Maine.

I am from cinder block, the spray of salt water, pelicans, and the squish of sun-baked sand between my toes.
I am from red-tipped photinias, poinsettias, and gladiolas, and the lingering taste of homemade molasses cookies.

I am from Fuller family picnics at Old Fort DeSoto; from butchers, bakers, and cabinet makers; from George & Ruth, Gram W., and Tim.

I am from the “always be prayed up,” out-going, fun-loving, bull-headed Scottish/Welch and Irish clans.

From “JOY means Jesus first, Others next, Yourself last” and “Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.”

I am from canoe trips at Camp Suwannee and old fashioned Southern Gospel Sings that lasted all night until the morning light.

I am from The Mayflower, New England boiled dinners, hot dogs “anytime” and Saturday night baked bean suppers with steamed brown bread.

From the mother who became a nurse after being told she would never walk again; from the young girl who took her Driver’s Ed test in June with her head still bandaged from a serious camping accident in May; and from a brother who struggled for each breath but was determined to make the dreams of others become a reality.

I am from scrapbooks, photo albums, and thousands of slides; from hand-pieced quilts and knitted mittens.  From the old Family Bible—a loving memory of those who made me what I am.


Don’t you just love a twist at the end of a story?  I do.  You see, I can’t recall a single student, parent, teacher, or even the principal stopping by my room that year to read my poem.  If they did, I am not aware of it.  But that’s really and truly okay with me.  I didn’t write the poem for them. Nor did I write it for myself, nor even for you.  I wrote it to let my Heavenly Father know I recognize all the work He did in advance to create me.  It was my humble way to say “Thank you” to Him.

Here is YOUR challenge:  The next time you go to work and engage in all those boringly mundane or disliked tasks, change your perspective.  Do it for the Lord and not your boss.

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”             1 Corinthians 10:31 (NIV)

I can assure you, your hardened heart will melt, and the quality of your work will improve.
Finally, and perhaps most significantly, thank God for His specific design for YOU.

Respectfully written and submitted by:
Dotty Willmon, Resurrection Christian

No comments:

Post a Comment