Psalm 34:12-14 (NLT) 12Does anyone want to live a life that is long and prosperous? 13Then keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies! 14Turn away from evil and do good. Search for peace, and work to maintain it.
One year, I made the decision to grow a salsa garden (e.g., tomatoes, chile peppers, and onions) with the idea that I could make my own salsa. I should probably explain that I have absolutely no experience with gardening. I studied information on the seed packets and learned as much as I could, and I even consulted my dear friend who is a local farmer. I also contacted my husband’s uncle who had experience in growing tomatoes, and he offered a very helpful suggestion that while I wait for my plants to grow, I might simply purchase a jar of salsa at a local grocery store. Very helpful indeed, nevertheless I was determined to try.
Growing plants from seeds is not as easy as some might think. It requires constant attention and care to make sure the plants are free of unwanted pests, free from weeds, and making certain there is sufficient water. It was an extremely hot summer that year and I found it necessary to move my plant containers daily from early morning sun to a shady spot in the afternoons. It required a large amount of time and effort. It also caused me to deeply appreciate farmers and the work they do.
As I read today’s scripture selection, I begin to understand that living a peaceful life requires great time and effort. If I use the analogy of my salsa garden, then I might say lack of peace in relationships could be like weeds. I need to get rid of ugly thoughts about those who are unkind or hurtful to me. But simply getting rid of weeds is not enough. I also need to water and fertilize; which indicates my need to actively cultivate friendships and forgiveness toward others. In other words, I not only need to forgive but I need to spend time and effort in seeking peace, and as the Psalmist reminds me, I also need to “work to maintain it.”
Gracious Heavenly Father, our LORD God Almighty,
Guide me as I seek peace in relationships with others. Grant me the desire, strength, and effort needed to maintain that peace.
In the Name of Jesus Christ, our LORD and Savior, Amen.
The devotion The Salsa Garden was originally written for Friday, March 1, 2019; for Maranatha Devotional Guide, an Advent Christian Publication https://acgc.us As the original author of this devotion, I reserve the right to update and share it on my current devotional blog Write From My Heart at https://writefrommyheartblog.blogspot.com
Email: Dotty Willmon, writefrommyheartblog@gmail.com
Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
No comments:
Post a Comment