Psalm 73:21-22 (NLT) 21Then I realized that my heart was bitter, and I was all torn up inside. I was so foolish and ignorant – I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you.
Psalm 142:4 (NLT) 4I look for someone to come and help me, but no one gives me a passing thought! No one will help me; no one cares a bit what happens to me.
Psalm 143:4 (NLT) 4I am losing all hope; I am paralyzed with fear. ... 7Come quickly, LORD, and answer me, for my depression deepens.
First, allow me to be clear; I realize that using verses in isolation of their context is never wise, but the Psalmist David definitely knew what it felt like to be ‘helpless’. In modern times, I consider myself to be ‘helpless’ on all things technological. I am desperately dependent upon my husband and two sons for assistance. Yet our theme for today digs deeper than just the need for technological assistance.
Our accumulated birthdays bring seemingly insurmountable challenges, our heart is weary, our health is weak, our mind is tired of processing thoughts... we feel an overwhelming depth of helplessness. Yet there is hope – there is always hope – we are not left hopeless!
Psalm 142:5 (NLT) 5Then I pray to you, O LORD. I say, “You are my place of refuge. You are all I really want in life.”
Psalm 73:23-26 (NLT) 23Yet I still belong to you; you hold my right hand. 24You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny. 25Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth. 26My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever.
Hebrews 10:23 (NLT) 23Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise.
Lamentations 3:21-24 (NLT) 21Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: 22The faithful love of the LORD never ends! His mercies never cease. 23Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning. 24I say to myself, “The LORD is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!”
My dear Friends & Readers, I do not know what level of helplessness you are feeling today – whether it is related to situations beyond your control, health issues, feeling helpless as you watch friends and loved ones battle life’s challenges, or just the aging effects of accumulated birthdays that seem to affect us all in varying degrees. But I know this; you may carry a sense helplessness, but you are not left hopeless for your hope is firmly grounded in the God of ALL HOPE. He will never fail. He can be trusted to keep his promise. God walks with you through every adversity and sees you safely until the Blessed Hope of Christ’s coming.
Titus 2:13 (KJV) Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ!
Lord God Almighty, our Father;
You know us. You see us. You know each trial, struggle, or adversity we face. You know when we are weak or weary and when helplessness overwhelms us. Yet you are always ready to provide the strength and comfort we need. You not only provide hope, but You ARE our Hope, now and forever more. With humble and grateful hearts we trust Your Will and Way.
In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
The devotional Helpless – But not Hopeless appeared first on Write From My Heart at https://writefrommyheartblog.blogspot.com
Email: Dotty Willmon, writefrommyheartblog@gmail.com
Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Scripture quotations marked (KJV) are taken from The Holy Bible, King James Version (cum privilegio), undated, Cambridge University Press. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Special courtesy thank you to Dr. Joe Barnett for providing the idea for today's title.
No comments:
Post a Comment