Wednesday, August 30, 2023

From the First Law of Kipple

            Years ago, I was reading a science fiction book, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Philip K. Dick, 1968); and to be honest, I never finished it because I felt I could (and should) be filling my mind with much better material. Yet there were a couple of quotes that stuck with me.

·       Kipple is useless objects.  When nobody’s around, Kipple reproduces itself.
·       The First Law of Kipple: Kipple drives out non-Kipple.
·       No one can win against Kipple, except temporarily and maybe in one spot.
·       It’s a universal principle operating throughout the universe; the entire universe is moving toward a final state of total, absolute Kippleization.

            Now at the time, I found humor in this because I was in the process of making every attempt to de-clutter all the nooks, crannies, and closets in my home. And I thought to myself, Yes, clutter reproduces itself when nobody is around. And yes, clutter drives out non-clutter. And yes, at times I’m overwhelmed and think I cannot win against clutter. And yes, clutter seems to be taking over my world perhaps even to a total state of clutterization. (I hope you can envision and share in my humor.)

            But that was then, and this is now, as they say. Today I wonder if we might substitute other words in place of the word kipple. What about things like worry? stress? chaos? These things, too, multiply if left unchecked. These things, too, drive away non-worry, non-stress, and non-chaos—to be clear, they drive away PEACE. The one spot where we can always win against such kipple as worry, stress, and chaos is at the feet of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He provides a peace which the world cannot understand nor is it able to comprehend. Perhaps we could all use a re-fresher course straight from God’s Word. In closing, let’s remind ourselves of several favorite Bible verses to help us drive away any “non-PEACE kipple” that might be distracting us today:

Matthew 6:27, 33-34  Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

John 16:33 I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.

Philippians 4:6-7  Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

2 Thessalonians 3:16  Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            Today I have written with humor, but the truth is that many of us are struggling with things that drive away the peace in our lives. The only lasting peace is your peace that you provide so willingly and graciously. Turn our hearts toward you, calm our fears and anxieties, and strengthen us with your peace.

            In the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, Amen.

 

The devotional From the First Law of Kipple appeared first on Write From My Heart at writefrommyheartblog.blogspot.com

email: Dotty Willmon, writefrommyheartblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment