There seems to be a resurgence of the phrase, “I Yam What I Yam... and that’s all that I Yam!”, along with any number of it’s variations. A word of caution is definitely needed! This quote was famously spoken by Popeye the Sailor Man – the original comic strip character creation of E.C. Seger and later popularized in the Fleisher Studios cartoon version, both from the early 1930’s. Tragic that so few understand the heart of its message is the concept of self-acceptance, pride in self, and self-sufficiency. It is the world’s philosophy – of “me, myself, and I” - and absolutely NOT what Apostle Paul was trying to teach!
Paul counted himself as the worst of sinners because of his past, unworthy in every respect – except by the Grace of God – who in mercy and loved saved him from his past; called him to his work; and guided him in every endeavor.
The Simple Truth:
1 Corinthians 15:9-10 (NLT) 9For I am the least of all the apostles. In fact, I’m not even worthy to be called an apostle after the way I persecuted God’s church. 10But whatever I am now [KJV & NIV ‘I am what I am’], it is all because God poured out his special favor on me – and not without results. For I have worked harder than any of the other apostles; yet it was not I but God who was working through me by his grace.
Dear Lord, our Heavenly Father,
Forgive our proclivity to absorb the world’s teaching of ‘all things self’. Thank you for the example of Apostle Paul who acknowledges we are nothing without you. We are only who we are through your mercy and grace. We ask you to work in us, through us, and in spite of us. We offer you all the praise and glory due your Name.
In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
The devotional By the Grace of God appeared first on Write From My Heart at
https://writefrommyheartblog.blogspot.com
Email: Dotty Willmon, writefrommyheartblog@gmail.com
Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Scripture quotations marked (KJV) are taken from The Holy Bible, King James Version (cum privilegio), undated, Cambridge University Press. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Scripture quotations marked (NIV) are taken from The Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV®, Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
No comments:
Post a Comment