Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Too Bogged to Blog

Write From My Heart

Galatians 6:9-10 (NIV) Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

Colossians 3:23-24 (NIV) Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

2 Thessalonians 3:13 (NIV) And as for you, brothers, never tire of doing what is right.

            It seems like it has been far too long since I last wrote an entry in my Write From My Heart blog. Now that’s an interesting word… blog. It really doesn’t have a very pretty sound to it. It might be interesting to know who first sat down to write and decided to call their website a “blog.” I’m not really sure how the term originated; only that Merriam-Webster provides its definition is as follows:

blog (n.) 1) a website that contains online personal reflections, comments, and often hyperlinks, video, and photographs provided by the writer; 2) a regular feature appearing as part of an online publication that typically relates to a particular topic and consists of articles and personal commentary by one or more authors; to write, or write about something on a blog

            I understand the potential negative connection to the word bog which Merriam-Webster defines as:

bog (n.) wet spongy ground; poorly drained, usually acidic area with accumulated plant material

bog (v.) to cause to sink into; to become impeded or stuck as in, “to bog down”

British usage implies bathroom, restroom, latrine, lavatory, loo, etc.

            Now I’m sure that’s probably more information than you would care to know about either the word blog or bog. For me, the relevance had to do with what was causing me to feel so bogged down that I chose to set aside blogging. I consider my blogging to be a gift of writing that comes from my Heavenly Father. He has provided me with talent and ability to generate words on paper; I honestly and humbly ascribe to Him all the credit, glory, and honor for the topics and scriptures he lays upon my heart to share with others. So what was the bog into which I was sinking, or why was I feeling too bogged to blog?

            I enjoy spending time playing with my Nintendo Switch, specifically Animal Crossing New Horizons (yes, folks, I’m a closet gamer). I also enjoy putting together puzzles (I’m currently working on a 1,000-piece picture of bacon, yes, 20 x 27 inches of swirling, curling, intertwined bacon strips). The point is all of us have hobbies, crafts, and various things swallowing our time. As for writing, I do have major writing projects, specifically three other books in progress, as well as Write From My Heart devotionals. The problem I discovered was that I simply had no excuse not to devote more time to writing. Zip. Zero. Zilch.

            Oh how easy it is to mismanage our time getting caught up on “fun” things and setting aside the things of lasting value. I have no clue who or how many people will ever read what I write. Only God knows. Yet if he speaks to me in the still quietness of my heart and lays upon my heart some word of encouragement or word of caution he wants others to read, then it is incumbent upon me to do my best for him.

            And now it is your turn. What task or opportunity has the Lord quietly laid upon your heart? What “fun” things are drawing you away from completing that task or opportunity? Those are questions I cannot answer for you; you alone must answer them.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            Thank you for the abundance of talents and wide array of abilities you provide. Teach us to recognize opportunities to use our time and skills in ways of lasting value for you. May we never grow weary or tired of serving you. In all that we do, we give the honor and glory to you.

            In the name of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior, Amen.

 

The devotional Too Bogged to Blog appeared first on Write From My Heart at writefrommyheartblog.blogspot.com

email: Dotty Willmon, writefrommyheartblog@gmail.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment