Friday, February 18, 2022

Writing From My Heart

 Write From My Heart

Ezekiel 2:4-5 (NIV) The people to whom I am sending you are obstinate and stubborn. Say to them, “this is what the Sovereign LORD says.” And whether they listen or fail to listen—for they are a rebellious house—they will know that a prophet has been among them.

            Today I simply feel the need to clarify why I write. As I have said many times, I have no clue who or how my devotions will be received. I only know that the Lord has given me a talent or ability for putting words on paper (hopefully in an interesting way), and that I want to serve my Heavenly Father in any way that is useful to him. As for topics, generally it is some thought or scripture passage that stands out to me in a new or interesting way that others might also want to know. Since I do not feel confident in public speaking, I prefer to write.

            To be perfectly clear beyond any doubt, I do not in any way consider myself to be gifted with any prophetic knowledge or wisdom. I see that as something highly specialized that only the Almighty himself gave to specific people, in specific time of specific need, to accomplish a specific purpose. Never would I presume to be anyone like Ezekiel, Daniel, Elijah, or any of the chosen prophets of old. Furthermore, when anyone today claims prophetic status and speaks using “The Lord says…,” “The Lord told me to tell you…,” “I have had a Word of knowledge from God…,” or any similar phrase—I would urge great caution! I personally believe strongly that the 3rd commandment,  You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name (Deut. 5:11), refers not only to obscenities but also speaking for or in place of God. Indeed, one should use extreme caution for I believe the consequences will be severe on that final day of judgement. I do not doubt God’s ability to select whom he chooses, but God has given us his Word as a standard for living and it contains the all the information needed to live for him and serve him alone.

Deuteronomy 4:39 (NIV) Acknowledge and take to heart this day that the LORD is God in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other.

Deuteronomy 13:4 (NIV) It is the LORD your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him.

Joshua 24:14 (NIV) Now fear the LORD and serve him with all faithfulness.

Isaiah 43:10-11 (NIV) Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior.

Isaiah 45:5 (NIV) I am the LORD, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God.

            God is holy. God is sovereign. He alone is worthy of praise. The Almighty God has graciously provided a means for us to learn about him and how to be obedient in serving him. We have the Bible, God’s Holy Word—a text that God has preserved throughout the ages—a text that is now widely available in many formats and languages to those who desire to learn.

            The Bible tells of God’s love for us and how he gave his Son as a supreme sacrifice to lay the very foundation of our hope for eternity. It provides encouragement for times that are difficult to navigate. It yields warnings to keep us on the right path. It is a constant reminder that God desires to be an active part of our lives and longs for us to seek him, trust him, and communicate in prayer with him. Write From My Heart is a simple means of sharing those golden nuggets of biblical truth with others. I do not generate new biblical words; I simply convey the biblical message already there and readily available to any who take the time to read.

Psalm 119:11, 16, 17, 26-27 (NIV) I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. … I will not neglect your word. … I will obey your word. … teach me your decrees. Let me understand the teaching of your precepts; then I will meditate on your wonders.

Psalm 25:4-5 (NIV) Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.

            I have two major goals when I write. One is a lesson I borrow from the Psalmist David, the other from Apostle Paul:

Psalm 71:14-16, 18 (NIV) But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more. My mouth will tell of your righteousness, of your salvation all day long, though I know not its measure. I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, O Sovereign LORD; I will proclaim your righteousness, yours alone. … Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come.

Ephesians 6:19-20 (NIV) Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, … Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            I do not know how you plan for me to use the talents or abilities you gave me, I only know that I desire to be obedient in using them in a way that honors and glorifies you. Teach me. Show me. Guide me.

            In the name of Christ Jesus my Lord and Savior, Amen.

            Dear Friends, I encourage you to use whatever gifts, talents, and abilities the Lord has given you to serve him in ways you might never have imagined possible. Our world ebbs closer to its last and final chapter and the coming of our Lord draws ever nearer.  Together let us proclaim the glory of God until the day he comes.

 

The devotional Writing From My Heart appeared first on Write From My Heart at writefrommyheartblog.blogspot.com

email: Dotty Willmon, writefrommyheartblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment