Tuesday, March 21, 2023

A Penny for Your Thoughts

 Psalm 139:1-2  You have searched me, LORD, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.

Psalm 139:23-24  Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

            I don’t know about you, but there are days when my thoughts seem so scattered that I can barely function. Now that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much. We all have days when our thoughts keep us distracted or disoriented to those things which truly need our focused attention. On such days, our Heavenly Father is there to calm our minds and quiet our hearts if we will turn our focus to him. There are several scripture passages that help me on such days, and the my favorite “go-to” verse is found in 2 Timothy, although I much prefer the original King James Version for this one.

2 Timothy 1:7 (KJV)  For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

            In Paul’s letter to the Colossians regarding the Supremacy of the Son of God, there is a small verse tucked inside the passage that also helps me on days of scattered thoughts:

Colossians 1:17 (NIV)  He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

            If I am confident that Christ can hold all things together, then I can take this passage in a more literal sense and thank him for also holding the thoughts in my head together and helping me function clearly. I think the key is to focus on our Heavenly Father and then everything else seems to fall back into proper perspective. Perhaps one of the most helpful verses, although again I prefer the KJV, comes from Proverbs:

Proverbs 3:5-6 (KJV)  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            Forgive us when our thoughts become so scattered and chaotic that we lose sight of you. Help us stop, regroup, refocus on you. Thank you for the precious promises found in your Word that help guide our thoughts, minds, and hearts back to you.

            In the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, Amen.

 

The devotional A Penny for Your Thoughts appeared first on Write From My Heart at writefrommyheartblog.blogspot.com

email: Dotty Willmon, writefrommyheartblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment