Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Make Every Effort Count

 2 Peter 1:13-15  I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things. 

            Peter knew that all things of earth, even our bodies, are temporary. He passionately believed in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ; and, that the example of Jesus Christ will be one in which all believers will follow. We live in our human bodies for a time; if time lingers we shall sleep in death; but as believers, we will rejoice in the Blessed Hope of Resurrection at that moment when Christ returns.

            I enjoy writing. It is more than a hobby; in my retirement years it has become my passion and primary interest. My Heavenly Father has given me whatever talent, abilities, and writing skills that I may possess, and I humbly and gratefully give to Him all glory and honor for any good that it might produce.

            However I am keenly aware that not everyone enjoys writing. Some people dread the thought of writing. This makes me wonder how a fisherman like Peter felt about sitting down to write a couple of letters. Perhaps he thought of it as a heavy task. Yet how blessed we are today for his letters included in the canonized scriptures. Peter and I share a common goal—to use whatever abilities we might have to further the gospel message of encouragement and hope. As Peter so plainly states, “And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things.”

            Make no mistake, my writings and musings will never in any way compare to the precious letters of Peter that we have available to us canonized in Scripture. Peter could never have possibly known how many generations his letters would reach, but he made the effort, and we are the beneficiaries. Peter’s example, and my encouragement and my challenge for you, is to use whatever gifts, talents, and abilities you might have as a lasting legacy of God’s love and hope to future generations. Make every effort count.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            You have blessed each of us with different talents, skills, and abilities. Forgive us when we feel we are no longer useful to you. Awaken in us the passion to prepare future generations for your eternal Kingdom. Thank you for still needing us to respond to the opportunities you present.

            In the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, Amen.

 

The devotional Make Every Effort Count appeared first on Write From My Heart at writefrommyheartblog.blogspot.com

email: Dotty Willmon, writefrommyheartblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment