Thursday, July 25, 2024

Like a Bottle of Goo Gone

 Romans 14:12-13      So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God. Therefore, let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister.

            Most of my readers will remember that I am a retired schoolteacher. Each new school year would find us at back-to-school workshops ready to gear up for the year’s events. At one such workshop, teachers were asked to write their name on a tag as well as what they would wish to be known for by the end of that year. I simply wrote: “Dotty Willmon, Goo Gone” which as you could imagine sparked a lot of interesting conversations.

            Changing gears a bit, let me give you some history behind the product Goo Gone. As near as I was able to research, the product’s creator was Alan Zeilinger from Cleveland – listed as the “best answer” to my query. Even after slogging through numerous Safety Data Sheets dated as early as 2012 and 2014; and while those sheets included information such as flashpoints and evaporation rates for those interested in such details; still I was unable to successfully determine Goo Gone’s date of origin. What is Goo Gone? It is a citrus based substance advertised to “remove sticky, gummy, gooey problems” with the company’s mission statement declaring “to help you get out of sticky situations.” All I know is that Goo Gone is amazing at getting rid of the sticky residue left behind when trying to remove labels from containers. [Note: Peanut butter also works well, but that’s a topic for another time and another devotional.] And that, my friends, was my goal for the year…to be known as the teacher who removed the negative labels from students who entered my classroom…to be the teacher who didn’t care who they were, how far behind they were academically, nor what past teachers dreaded about them. In my classroom, they would be welcome and I would do all in my ability to bring them up to grade level or beyond removing any trace of past difficulties. This school year, at least in my classroom, would be each student’s “fresh start” with “a clean slate” as they say.

            The Romans text selected for today is in the middle of Paul’s discourse to the Romans with particular emphasis on the division between eating clean and unclean foods. Yet it still has merit as a clear reminder to stop passing judgment on one another, and isn’t that exactly what we do when we place labels on one another? And who are we to determine how a person ought to be perceived by others? What right do we have to label anyone for any reason? And do we ever consider that it is our negative labels on someone that potentially places a stumbling block in their lives—something with which they will continually battle?

            It is only by the grace of God that our own label – SINNER – has been removed and not even the sticky residue left behind remains visible in His sight.

Psalm 51:7    Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            How humbly grateful we are for your mercy and compassion. We stand in awe that you would love us so much you sent your only Son to be our Savior. We are reminded that by the blood of Christ we are cleansed from our sin and all negative labels are gone. Guide us to be your faithful servants.

            In the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, Amen.

 

The devotional Like a Bottle of Goo Gone appeared first on Write From My Heart at

https://writefrommyheartblog.blogspot.com

email: Dotty Willmon, writefrommyheartblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment