Friday, July 26, 2024

When Counting Sheep Is Not Enough

Psalm 4:4, 8   4…when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. … 8In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety.

            Sure enough, I’ve had more than my share of failure in counting sheep as a means of falling asleep lately. The frustrating nights are the ones of waking at 3:00am, staring at the clock until around 5:00am, and knowing the alarm will go off all too soon.

            This devotional is as much for me as it is for any other reader. When chaotic or random thoughts will not seem to settle down enough for sleep to occur, then it’s time to focus on the Lord. He is with us day and night. In him we have complete peace. He created us with a need for rest, and he is able to provide peaceful rest when we trust him fully.

            During my next sleepless night, I plan to repeat these verses silently as a prayer of thankfulness that my Heavenly Father cares for me. The sheep will have to spend the night at the ranch.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            Thank you for your watch care during the nights. Thank you for the peace that allows us to rest in you. May those who are weary of sleepless nights trust in your care.

            In the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, Amen.

 

The devotional When Counting Sheep Is Not Enough   appeared first on Write From My Heart at    https://writefrommyheartblog.blogspot.com

email: Dotty Willmon, writefrommyheartblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment