Thursday, August 26, 2021

COURAGEOUS

 

Write From My Heart

August 26, 2021

 

COURAGEOUS having the quality of courage or bravery with fixed resolve

Joshua 1:6, 7, 9 (NIV)  Be strong and courageous. … Be strong and very courageous. … Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD you God will be with you wherever you go.

            I suppose I have always used the words courage and bravery interchangeably, and to some extent they are synonymous. However, upon closer inspection, it would appear that being courageous is being brave with an added depth of resolve or determination to withstand whatever may be causing the fear you are facing.

            Today’s world events are such that you might wonder each morning if you really want to get out of bed or stay put. Perhaps it is the loss of a loved one or dear friend that forces you to summon up every ounce of courage to face the day’s tasks. Perhaps the aging process has left you limited in abilities you once found so easy and natural to perform. Financial situations, working conditions, relationships with family and friends, health concerns, political concerns; all these and more require a healthy dose of courage—bravery with determination not to be fearful. And where do we find such courage?

Psalm 18:1-2  I love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.

Psalm 28:7  The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.

Psalm 29:11  The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace.

Psalm 31:24  Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD.

Psalm 34:18  The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

Psalm 46:1-2  God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear.

Psalm 68:19  Praise be to the LORD, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens.

Isaiah 41:10  So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

2 Timothy 1:7 (KJV) For God [has] not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of  sound mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment