Monday, February 6, 2023

All the Days Ordained for Me

 Psalm 139:14, 16 (NIV)  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. …all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

            What interesting creatures we humans are. We are fascinated and often absorbed with the concept of time. And I suppose this varies in degrees with the various stages of life. Don’t tell me children are oblivious to time because they can tell you exactly how long it will be until recess. As adults we keep track of schedules and appointments—both social and work-related and most days seem but a blur as they speed hastily past. Then somewhere in our senior years things seem to slow down a bit. Time becomes more precious.

            Now, I’ve never really been a big fan of country music. But this morning all I could hear in my head was the Merle Haggard version of “One Day at a Time” probably ca. 1989. Let me refresh your memory of the chorus:

One day at a time, sweet Jesus, that’s all I’m asking from you.

Give me the strength to do everyday what I have to do.

Yesterday’s gone, sweet Jesus, and tomorrow may never be mine.

So for my sake, teach me to take one day at a time.

            Try as hard as you might, you can never re-live yesterday’s schedule. That day is gone. You can plan, and plan, and plan your schedule for tomorrow and future days, but they are not guaranteed to be yours. So what will you do with your today? Do you know someone who could use an encouraging word? a card? a letter? a text? a meal? a helping hand? a prayer?

Today matters.

Galatians 6:10 (NIV)  Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            All too often we get caught up in a whirlwind of daily activities and miss the opportunities you give us to brighten the lives of others. Forgive our haste. Teach us to make the most of every day in a way that pleases you and leads us (and others) toward your Kingdom.

            In Jesus’ name, Amen.

The devotional All the Days Ordained for Me appeared first on Write From My Heart at writefrommyheartblog.blogspot.com

email: Dotty Willmon, writefrommyheartblog@gmail.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment