As a brief reminder, I have no expertise in the Hebrew
language. Yet through the years, and through participation in various Bible
studies*, I have managed to acquire a few Hebrew words with basic or
rudimentary understanding. Yesterday, we spoke of “AYEKAH – Where are you?”
However, we discovered that God never leaves nor abandons us. In fact we do not
need to ask God
“Where are You?” because He is always where He Is, and has
always been, and will always be. God does not drift to and fro. Perhaps it is
not God who needs to answer our question and identify his location, because He
Is, and He is always present. To further process this line of thought;
perhaps it is we who need to answer God’s question “Ayekah?”
Today, let’s explore the answer, “HINENI – Here I am”.
1 Samuel 3:4-10 (NIV) Then the LORD called Samuel. Samuel answered, “Here I am.” And he ran to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” But Eli said, “I did not call; go back and lie down.” So he went and lay down. Again the LORD called, “Samuel!” and Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” “My son,” Eli said, “I did not call; go back and lie down.” Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD: The word of the LORD had not yet been revealed to him. A third time the LORD called, “Samuel!” And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” Then Eli realized that the LORD was calling the boy. So Eli told Samuel, “Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, ‘Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.’” So Samuel went and lay down in his place. The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” Then Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant is listening.”
No doubt there is so much more that could be explained by someone with knowledge of the Hebrew language. Yet even with my basic and rudimentary Bible skills, I can see a change occurring in the midst of this story. No longer does Samuel merely respond with location... “Here I am, Here I am”... Now, through Eli’s wise counsel, Samuel responds with a new depth of understanding. “I am listening.”
When God asks us: Where are you?
Ayekah? Where have you gone? Where have you drifted? Why are we no longer close? What is distracting you from being with Me? Where have you wandered? Where have you strayed? What has led you off course? Is this truly where you want to be – without Me? Where are you going without Me? Where are you hiding? Why are you hiding? Where have you gone that has taken you farther away from Me? Ayekah? Where are you?
Let us respond: Here I am...
Hineni. Here I am; needing your forgiveness, mercy, and grace. Here I am; needing your guidance and peace of mind. Here I am; needing to find my way back to you. Here I am; spiritually present and ready to pay attention. Hineni. Here I am...
Gracious Heavenly Father,
You already know our physical whereabouts. We do not need to tell you where we are. But we come to you with humble hearts telling you that we are here and ready to pay attention. Forgive our wandering and drifting, guide us back to right-standing with you. Create in us a clean heart, a willing heart, and a readiness to obey.
In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
The devotional HINENI – Here I Am appeared first on Write From My Heart at https://writefrommyheartblog.blogspot.com
Email: Dotty Willmon, writefrommyheartblog@gmail.com
Scripture quotations marked (NIV) are taken from The Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV®, Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
*Jesus and Women. K. McLelland, Lifeway, 2020
*Rabbi Heather Miller, All Saints Church, Pasedena, 2021
No comments:
Post a Comment