There is a story1 of a group of Christian students somewhere in Latin America. They called themselves, Cristianos Descolgados which the story interprets as “Unhooked Christians”. (Since I am unfamiliar with the language, I will accept the provided definition.) As the story goes, these students “dropped out” of going to church anywhere at all because they had apparently visited every church in their city and they were unable to find what they were looking for in a church. So what were they looking for? A church in which:
2. there is a loving, caring fellowship
3. there is sincere and humble worship
4. there is a compassionate outreach to the world outside
Wow! What an indictment on those churches; but I fear most churches do not fall far behind. In my own experience I have had the opportunity to be a part of many different churches in many different locations. As I think about my experiences in each fellowship, I can recall several churches that excelled in one or more of the areas listed, but I must admit I am having difficulty recalling a church that met all the criteria noted above.
1. the Bible is taught
On one occasion, while scanning for something to watch on tv I noticed a church service, and I paused because behind the minister sat the choir— and every choir member held an open Bible in their laps. At first, I thought (skeptic that I am) it was probably just for “show” for the camera...but when the camera panned back, the entire congregation had Bibles opened and being used. It’s hard to find a church like that!
2. there is a loving, caring fellowship
Many churches have a time of greeting one another... but usually what happens is a beeline to our friends. I remember reading an online comment left by one visitor to a church that stated he had been there for three months and no one knew his name. That was an indictment on me because at that time I was part of that fellowship!
3. there is sincere and humble worship
I have been in churches that excelled in this area. I have also been in a church that was so regimented by the order of worship and formality that it seemed robotic and ritualistic. I have also been in a church that was so free style under the guise of being “spirit filled” that the loud noisy repetitive singing/shouting left me with headaches each week. Not fun. Definitely not humble worship.
4. there is a compassionate outreach to the world outside
My current church home excels in this area. We have a wonderful mission to Haiti that involves among other things, creating water collection systems for homes who do not have this basic necessity for life; as well as creating gardening projects that service many families. We support a local mission providing meals to homeless, as well as providing meals and support for students from a nearby college campus, and support for teachers and students of a nearby local elementary school. There are also other periodic mission project opportunities that take place throughout the year.
Today’s devotional has been a bit different from others; but I leave you with a few thoughts to ponder while you reflect on your own church:
1 Thessalonians 1:2-3, 7-8 (NIV) We always thank God for all of you and continually mention you in our prayers. We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. ... And so you became a model to all the believers... The Lord’s message rang out from you... your faith in God has become known everywhere.
Colossians 3:15-16 (NIV) Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.
Psalm 6-7 (NIV) Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the LORD our Maker; for he is our God, and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care.
Psalm 119:10-11, 16b (NIV) I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. ... I will not neglect your word.
Ephesians 6:18-20 (NIV) And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel... Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.
Dear Readers, if these scriptures are not descriptive of your church fellowship; I must ask, what are you doing to help improve it?
Gracious Heavenly Father,
We long to be a church where the Bible is taught, where there is a loving and caring fellowship, where there is sincere and humble worship, and where there is a compassionate outreach to the world outside. Thank you for guiding us in the areas in which we excel; but quicken our hearts to improve the areas which do not please you. Above all, may all honor and glory be given to You alone.
In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
The devotional The Story of Cristianos Descolgados appeared first on Write From My Heart at
https://writefrommyheartblog.blogspot.com
Email: Dotty Willmon, writefrommyheartblog@gmail.com
Scripture quotations marked NIV are taken from The Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV®, Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
1Stott, J. Through the Bible Through the Year: Daily Reflections from Genesis to Revelation. Monarch Books, Grand Rapids, 2006. (p. 312).
No comments:
Post a Comment