Friday, August 14, 2026

Thoughts on Repentance

 Acts 2:37-38 (NIV) When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off – for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

Acts 3:19 (NIV) Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord...

As a young Christian, I think I was able to grasp the concept of Repentance with a response of being sorry for whatever I had said or done. Yet back then, my rudimentary understanding did not allow for much depth of conviction. All too soon I would be right back where I started without any lasting remorse, regret, or obvious changes in my feelings or actions. As I look back, I realize those early years were not engaged in true repentance.

A short time ago I came across some writings of my father-in-law (T.E. Willmon, Jr.) who wrote many lessons, Bible studies, and sermons. His words can express the concept of repentance so much clearer than I am able to do. Although he passed away in 2012, I am confident he would allow me to share this portion of one of his lessons written in 2001 for the Advent Christian Church in Clovis...

“Before continuing the story... let’s stop and look at the instructive and very biblical word repentance. It is not my intention to delve into the Hebrew or Greek words so translated; nor do I want to search out the many examples, of which the Bible is replete. I would like to examine four kinds, or four phases, or four levels of repentance.

The first level could be called the beginning of repentance. It is a mere desire that ‘the done’ might be undone – a sadness for something which was done and wishing that it might be undone; a feeling that a wiser view of the past might have been better. In all-too-many instances this is as far as many acts of repentance go.

The second level is expressed by a change of mind. This is especially true when later events happen that cause a person to alter his, or her, thinking. ‘At the time, I didn’t think anything of it, but now... I have changed my mind.’

The third level is a change of heart. It is regret for the course pursued and clear displeasure with oneself for taking a certain action. It is remorse for the ill done in the past. It logically follows levels one and two.

Last, true repentance – after a change in feelings, mind, and heart – calls for a change in life  and action, change of conduct for the future, a change of life for the better. True repentance calls for confession.”

1 John 1:9 (NIV) If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

This, dear friends, is true repentance which leads to true salvation. I would encourage you to spend a moment or two in reflection – what level of repentance is your customary response, and what steps do you need to take to reach “true repentance”? I can assure you that your Lord and Savior is only a whispered prayer away; he will hear you; he has promised forgiveness through Christ.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank you for your provision of salvation through the sacrifice of your only Son. Forgive the times we treat repentance as mere I’m sorry lip-service. We come to your with our sincere confession of heart and mind. Guide to take whatever steps forward that will lead us to your will and way.

In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

 

The devotional Thoughts on Repentance appeared first on Write From My Heart at  

https://writefrommyheartblog.blogspot.com 

Email: Dotty Willmon, writefrommyheartblog@gmail.com

Scripture quotations marked NIV are taken from The Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV®, Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment