Saturday, September 5, 2020

Daily Guidance


Write From My Heart
September 5, 2020
Daily Guidance

Proverbs 3:5-6 (NLT)
Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.

Isaiah 58:11 (NLT)
The LORD will guide you continually, giving you water when you are dry and restoring your strength.

            Sometimes I get the feeling we recognize God as being Eternal without really grasping the significance of that statement. Truly God always WAS, IS, and always WILL BE. But that doesn’t mean he skips and hops about between time periods, sometimes visiting the past, sometimes the present, sometimes skipping ahead to the future. In a way, God is time itself. We are the limited ones moving sequentially from event to event. God sees all, and therefore knows all, but somehow beyond our understanding it is one and the same time event for Almighty God. Now I could be wrong about this, and there are myriads of Bible scholars who might take umbrage at my opinion. However, I believe it is precisely that quality of God as Eternal One thus capable of knowing past, present, and future simultaneously that allows us to trust his understanding and guidance in our lives. When we call to him in prayer, he will hear and he will respond, albeit in his timing not ours. When we are paying attention to his responses through his Word and in our hearts, I think we gain a clearer understanding of which paths to take in life.
            I am reminded of an older hymn (Wm. Williams, 1745) “Guide me, O Thou great Jehovah, pilgrim through this barren land; I am weak, but Thou are mighty; hold me with Thy pow’rful hand.” And another verse that includes, “Strong Deliverer, strong Deliverer, be Thou still my strength and shield, be Thou still my strength and shield.”
            Finally, earlier this morning, my cousin posted a great reminder quotation on Facebook, and I really don’t think she’d mind if I repeat it here for you. So I will close with this quote:

"You don't have to be afraid of the unknown.
It is unknown only to you.
God is well aware of where you are and of every step He is asking you to take."

No comments:

Post a Comment