Sunday, September 6, 2020

Withering Leaves and Budding Roots


Write From My Heart
September 6, 2020
Withering Leaves and Budding Roots

Jeremiah 17:7-8 (NIV)
But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.

            Several weeks ago I decided to finally take some clippers to my little golden Pothos ivy plant that had grown quite leggy and unruly. In the past, I have always used a small jar of water to get the stems to root. However, I had recently heard that just planting the stems in soil would also work. Admittedly I was a little skeptical, but I decided to try both methods. The stems in the water jar sprouted quite well and from them I made a new potted plant. Then I cut a few more stems from the original plant and placed them directly in soil to make a second new potted plant. I   watered both new plants, placed them in a sunny location, and waited, and waited, and waited. (I’m not terribly patient.) To my surprise, most of the bare stems seemed to do just as well as the rooted stems, some even showing the beginnings of a new leaf or two. Only one of the bare stems seemed obviously withering and limp. This morning I finally pulled that one withering stem. To my amazement, however, at the very end of the stem I noticed a small budding root. It now resides in a small jar of water and I plan to watch the roots grow.
            The analogy is a simple one. No matter how weary and wilted our hearts may feel with the cares and concerns surrounding us, as long as we still have that budding root of trust in the LORD, we are not destroyed. We have no need to fear the troubles of the world, and we have the assurance and peace that our Heavenly Father will nourish the budding roots within us and keep us growing in him. As I have said repeatedly, and will always maintain, God is never more than a prayer away.

No comments:

Post a Comment