Saturday, September 19, 2020

Holding Myself Accountable

 

Write From My Heart / September 19, 2020 / Holding Myself Accountable

James 3:1-2 (NIV)  Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check.

James 3:1-2 (NLT)  Dear brothers and sisters, not many of you should become teachers in the church, for we who teach will be judged more strictly. Indeed, we all make many mistakes. For if we could control our tongues, we would be perfect and could also control ourselves in every other way. 

            Yesterday I wrote about the topic of the “unpardonable” sin. I wrote from the understanding I have through diligent study of scriptures and prayer. I still stand by what I wrote. However, I believe it was incomplete and I would be remiss in my duty as an author to let loose ends dangle.

            In the course of my lifetime I have been a member of many churches. I have always made the effort, as has my family, to be part of Bible-believing Bible-teaching churches. I remember one seemed to be headed in a direction I did not wish to follow. I am quite conservative by nature and this fellowship seemed to be traveling in a more modern direction. At the time, I remember making the comment that is seemed quite similar to “a cult”—definitely not my place to cast judgement!  But the words did come from my mouth and I alone am responsible for those spoken words. Upon reflection, I have to wonder if that is not very similar to the Pharisees response to Jesus, and if I was therefore no better than they? Then I am reminded of one significant difference.

            As I realized my own fault, I repented and asked forgiveness. And by God’s word I am confident I have been forgiven of speaking before thinking of potential consequences. I am equally confident that had the Pharisees realized what they were speaking to Jesus, the very Son of God, and with remorse and humility asked forgiveness, that they also would have been forgiven. We are never told in scriptures how many Pharisees were involved, nor if any in that group repented at any later point. Consequently we have no right to judge anyone other than ourselves.

            Although I am not currently teaching in a church, I am writing to a very public audience. Therefore, I hold myself accountable for what I write. I do not retract what I wrote yesterday, but I definitely do want to complete it with the understanding that even the unforgivable can be forgiven when we ask with a contrite heart. And perhaps this is the key—choosing to remain in our sinful error and thus not forgiven, or choosing to repent. How blessed we are that our Heavenly Father is never more than a prayer away.

No comments:

Post a Comment