Friday, May 12, 2023

A Mother's Day Heart

1 Samuel 1:27-28  I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he will be given over to the LORD.

            Today there are just a few words that I will Write From My “Mother’s Day” Heart and I hope that it touches your heart as well. The Lord has blessed me with two sons and they are indeed a blessing to me. Neither one lives nearby so I must content myself with occasional visits and weekend phone calls, but I am grateful for each of those precious visits to see them or hear their voice.

            I will be the first to admit that the whole “letting go” process was not handled gracefully by me. It was actually something my Uncle said that helped the most. He reminded me that since the day each son was born, everything my husband and I did was in order to prepare them to one day be on their own. Hannah’s prayer has been a lifeline for me as well. I may have given birth to those boys, and they are mine, but they are not mine to keep—each one belongs to my Heavenly Father. All I can do, or could do, was prepare them to the best of my ability; to teach them how dear and precious faith in God is to our family; to pray they make similar choices to accept Christ as their own personal Savior and to stand firm in their faith.

Proverbs 22:6  Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.

            There are so many Bible passages I pray for my two sons, but perhaps most of them come from Proverbs. I will share with you a few of my personal favorites that I pray for my sons:

Proverbs 4:13-15  Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well, for it is your life. Do not set foot on the path of the wicked or walk in the way of evildoers. Avoid it, do not travel on it; turn from it and go on your way.

Proverbs 4:20-27  My son, pay attention to what I say; turn your ear to my words. Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to one’s whole body. Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Keep your mouth free of perversity; keep corrupt talk far from your lips. Let your eyes look straight ahead; fix your gaze directly before you. Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways. Do not turn to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil.

Proverbs 6:20-22  My son keep your father’s command and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. Bind them always on your heart; fasten them around your neck. When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you.

Proverbs 16:3  Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.

Proverbs 22:1  A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.

            This Mother’s Day, many moms will rejoice in visits with their children. Many moms may have aching hearts for children who have passed. And many moms will be content to hear their children’s voices via phone, or communication through texts and cards. But one thing is certain, a Mother’s Day heart will be praying—my Mother’s Day heart will be praying—asking God to guide and protect what he gave to me and what I humbly return to him.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            Thank you for the gift of my sons. They are precious to me and I am confident they are precious to you as well. They are yours. Bless them. Guide them. Direct them. Draw them ever closer to you.

            In the name of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior, Amen.

 

The devotional A Mother’s Day Heart appeared first on Write From My Heart at writefrommyheartblog.blogspot.com

email: Dotty Willmon, writefrommyheartblog@gmail.com

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment