Friday, June 23, 2023

Among the People of Our Time

Genesis 6:9  Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God.

            It is fascinating to me how I can read a verse numerous times and yet find a simple word or phrase that captures my attention. Some tiny little thing I had never noticed before but which holds tremendous impact for me.

            Here is a righteous man—Noah. Scores of sermons, lessons, devotionals have centered on his life of being pleasing in the eyes of the LORD. Yet the phrase that I noticed this morning was blameless among the people of his time. It occurs to me that we are not asked to wonder nor worry about what life was like in some other generation of time. Our job is to be blameless among the people of our time, to walk faithfully with God amidst the rebellion and sinfulness of our generations. For Christians today, we are to know1 the right thing, do2 the right thing, stand firm3 for what is right and true, and resist4 every temptation for compromise with the world’s system of self-importance.

1Psalm 119:11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

2James 4:17  If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.

3Ephesians 6:13-14  Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist…

4Proverbs 1:10, 15  My son, if sinful men entice you, do not give in to them. … my son, do not go along with them, do not set foot on their paths…

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            Thank you for the example of Noah—a man found blameless among the people of his time. May we also be found blameless among the people of our time.  May we walk faithfully with you.

            In the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, Amen.

 

The devotional Among the People of Our Time appeared first on Write From My Heart at writefrommyheartblog.blogspot.com

email: Dotty Willmon, writefrommyheartblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment