Saturday, June 20, 2020

Quiet Contemplation - Day 26


Hebrews 5:11-14 (NIV)
We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

            My cousin’s husband and my best friend’s husband are both accountants. In fact, they both have sons who also have careers in the field of mathematics. If I asked either of these men to teach me to be an accountant, they would undoubtedly tell me I wasn’t ready and that I would need to go back and relearn some basic mathematical concepts first. It isn’t that I can’t learn accounting skills, it’s that my mathematic skill level is not were it needs to be to grasp accounting concepts.
            The writer of Hebrews has much to convey to the developing church about teachings in righteousness. His frustration seems to be not in the fact that they need the basics; but rather, his frustration seems to be in the fact that “by this time” they should be past the basics of Christianity.
            For me, this speaks volumes to our world, our nation, and to each of us personally. A little child might pout, whine, and throw tantrums. Adults should have grown up out of that stage of life. A little child might be learning “Jesus loves you.” Adults should be living examples of Christ’s love, and should be sharing it with others. A little child might be learning memory verses such as, “God is love” (one phrase from 1 John 4:16). An adult—well first, they have to find their Bible, dust it off…
            When I decided to “Write From My Heart,” I made the decision that not every devotional would be nice and pretty. I made the decision to be honest and truthful in my writing, even when it means that my writing is directed in part to myself. We live in a nation who is refusing to grow up. Our “one nation under God,” barely recognizes him anymore. Too many of us are content with the Biblical knowledge we learned as a child, and we are not delving into God’s word daily. To be sure, Christianity is a difficult topic in that it’s very foundation is faith in an unseen Holy God. For some, that is hard to grasp. However it is the first necessary step before understanding “righteousness,” which is “right living” with God by accepting Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Savior—God’s ultimate plan of salvation for ALL. And we must ask ourselves, are we at the point in our Christian maturity that we understand this well enough to teach others by the way we live?
                       
Gracious Heavenly Father,
            You know my heart. You know I long to serve you, but there is still so much that I am learning; so much more I need to know. May I, may we, not neglect delving into your Word on a daily basis. Give us the measure of understanding you believe we can handle at this time, but never let us slip into the routine of complacency.
In Christ’s name we pray, Amen.

Respectfully written and submitted by
Dotty Willmon, Resurrection Christian—looking for the blessed hope of Christ’s return!

No comments:

Post a Comment