Sunday, June 21, 2020

Quiet Contemplation - Day 27


Hebrews 11:6 (NIV)
And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

            Today is Father’s Day, a day to recognize and honor fathers and those who are father figures in our lives. Since my own father passed away when I was twelve; for me this is a time for me to reflect on men who have influenced me, taught me, or encouraged me in my Christian walk: uncles, father-in-law, husband, brother, and even cousins. I deeply appreciate the impact each one of them has had, and is having, on my life.
            In most churches today, sermons will recognize fathers and parenting. Many churches will include familiar hymns, like “Faith of Our Fathers” (F.W. Faber, 1814-1863). Of course, generally speaking the third verse is the one left out and I find that unfortunate. It reads:

Faith of our fathers, God’s great power Shall win all nations unto thee,
And preach thee, too, as love knows how, By kindly words and virtuous life.

            Faith carries many definitions including loyalty, allegiance, sincerity of intentions, and firm belief in something especially in connection with religious doctrines. But most of you know my writing style and my tendency to select the less obvious, and so it is with faith. My favorite use of the word has the least prominent definition “without question” and one really has to scroll down the list of other definitions to locate it.
            Therefore, the whole content of today’s devotional can be summed up in the following:

By faith, without question, God exists!
By faith, without question, he will reward those who seek him with eternal life!

            This is the kind of faith my Dad had. It is the kind of faith that those men who were and are father figures in my life have. It is the kind of faith I need. It is the kind of faith you need.

Without question!

Gracious Heavenly Father,
            Thank you for the gift of faith-filled fathers. May we follow their lead in believing in you without question.
            In Christ’s name we pray, Amen.

Respectfully written and submitted by
Dotty Willmon, Resurrection Christian—looking for the blessed hope of Christ’s return!

No comments:

Post a Comment