Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Just a Memory


Write From My Heart
August 18, 2020
Just a Memory

            Today I have something a little different on my mind and in my heart. It’s not really a devotional, but rather a memory. Perhaps you have enough years as I do, that you are able to remember days before summer VBS (Vacation Bible School). Back then, we had a variety of church sponsored activities for children and youth. There were summer camps, backyard Bible clubs, Summer Bible studies, mission camps and lots of other activities. I remember our church having Penny Crusade—generally one quarter of Sundays when children collected coins for missions. Those Sundays often began with all ages gathering in the sanctuary or fellowship hall for a brief thematic lesson. We sang choruses and learned memory verses. But I always remember the  “Opening Exercises” beginning with the pledges. So as a special memory, I decided today to simply share with you the three pledges we repeated each morning. It was so special for us as children, I wish they were still as important to us today.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands,
one Nation under God, indivisible,
with Liberty and Justice for all.


I pledge allegiance to the Christian flag
and to the Savior for whose kingdom it stands,
one brotherhood uniting all Christians in service and in love.


I pledge allegiance to the Bible, God’s Holy Word.
I will make it a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path;
its words will I hide in my heart that I might not sin against God.

No comments:

Post a Comment