Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Euodia and Syntyche

Philippians 4:2-3  I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord. Yes, and I ask you, my true companion, help these women since they have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are in the book of life.

            Myriads of sermons and lessons have been written on the topic of these two women and I seriously doubt I could add anything in the way of new insights. Yet as I was preparing for a different study, I did notice a few things worth noting.

            First of all, these two ladies were Christians whose names are in the book of life. Neither one had a conflict with Paul. They both supported Paul since they have contended at my side in Paul’s ministry in the cause of the gospel. These women were the roll-up-your-sleeves-and-get-to-work kind of women. The cause of the dispute was not even worthy of notation. Who knows? Maybe one was in charge of the pie committee and one was in charge of the decorations? We will never know, and that was not the point Paul was trying to make.

            Repeatedly in nearly every letter Paul wrote to new Christians and churches, the goal was working together not competing against one another. Paul wanted believers to come together using their various talents, gifts, and abilities in a way that would draw others to Christ. That was the goal—increase the family of God, draw others to Christ.

 

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            We are thankful for the gifts, talents, and abilities you have bestowed upon each one of us. May we faithfully use what you have given us for your honor and glory. We also pray for you to fill our congregations, pews, and choir lofts…but we humbly ask you to first prepare our hearts to accept the gifts, talents, and abilities of those whom you send to fill our church. May we be willing workers side-by-side with the willing workers you send to us.

            In the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, Amen.

 

The devotional Euodia and Syntyche appeared first on Write From My Heart at   

https://writefrommyheartblog.blogspot.com

email: Dotty Willmon, writefrommyheartblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment