Saturday, September 4, 2021

FORGET

 

Write From My Heart

September 4, 2021

NOTE:  For the next several devotions, I will be using ideas from a book I just finished reading. Because I strongly believe in placing credit where credit is due, I would encourage you to read the book for yourselves. I purchased the Kindle version from Amazon; it is:

                   Barnett, Joe. 6 Verses that Can Change Your Life. CrossLink Publishing, 2011.

              Although I do not intend to copy anything, I still want to acknowledge that my writings will be heavily influenced by what I have read and what has helped me to grow in my spiritual life.  Thank you, Dr. Barnett.

FORGET to lose [facts, data, information, etc.] from the mind; unable to remember

Isaiah 43:18-19 (NIV) Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing!

Ephesians 4:22-24 (NIV) You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

Philippians 1:6 (NLT) And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.

Philippians 3:13-14 (NLT) …I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.

            Change does not always come easily. For recovering alcoholics, change might include resisting the urge to drive along old familiar routes past old familiar bars and creating new routes to and from work, home, etc. However, for most of us, change simply means letting go of the past. A great place to start is with our attitude. Attitude is something only you can control and something for which only you are entirely responsible. Perhaps the best place to start in an attitude-overhaul is to stop dwelling on the past—resolve to stop the endless recall loop that plays back old hurts and past mistakes like a broken record (not all generations will understand that last analogy). Remember that God is not finished helping you develop and grow spiritually. Remember that all those old memories serve only one purpose—helping you make better choices in the future. Make the first step in taking control of your own attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment