Saturday, January 23, 2021

Christ Comforts His Disciples

Write From My Heart / January 23, 2021 / Christ Comforts His Disciples

John 14:1 (NIV) Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.

John 14:26-27 (NIV) But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

John 15:18-21 (NIV) If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. … If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. …They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me.

John 16:1, 33 (NIV) All this I have told you so that you will not go astray. … I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.

            As the earthly ministry of Christ was drawing to a close, he spent much of his remaining time explaining to his disciples how rough things would be for them. Take time to read chapters 14-17 of John. Although these are the words of Christ directly to his disciples, they bring comfort and hope to all the generations of believers past, present, and yet to come.

            Even with the pandemic, our nation has enjoyed a few years of peace and prosperity that many of us have taken for granted. Now that peace and prosperity is unwinding more rapidly than one could possibly imagine. Changes are happening. Not all changes will be good ones. Nevertheless, Christ is with us through the Holy Spirit dwelling within the heart of every believer. We have the peace of Christ and that is something the world does not understand. Troubling times may be in our future, and Christians may face a time of persecution that we in our nation have not yet had to face. We are told to remain firm, to remain steadfast, to not go astray.

            I have no idea what the future holds for the world or even what the future holds for our own nation. But I do know this: Christ has overcome the world! In Christ we have peace.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            Thank you for the gift of salvation through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Thank you for quieting our trouble hearts with your peace. Thank you for the Holy Spirit who leads and guides us so that we will not go astray. Grant that we would remain steadfast in you.

            In the name of Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment