Saturday, January 9, 2021

Clearing a Cluttered Mind

Write From My Heart / January 9, 2021 / Clearing a Cluttered Mind

2 Timothy 1:7 (KJV) For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

            Most of the time I like to refer to scriptures using the NIV or NLT versions. The language of those versions seems to place things in a modern voice. However there are certain verses that remain special to me using the traditional KJV and this is one of those occasions. Newer translations replace sound mind with the word discipline. Agreeably, Christians are to be a disciplined people, but honestly sometimes my thoughts are so unsettled that I just need that reassurance of a sound mind. In fact, during those times when unsettling or discouraging thoughts bounce around in my head like ping pong balls, I just stop and repeat this verse multiple times until my mind quiets down.

            I often remember the story of Elijah (1 Kings 19:11-13) who found the presence of the LORD not in a great roaring wind, not in an earthquake, not in a raging fire…but in a gentle whisper. Nothing calms a fearful, anxious, or angry mind quite like a steady, calm, soft voice. Then, once I have cleared the clutter from my mind, I am able to refill my thoughts with things that are positive and of lasting value.

Philippians 4:8 (NIV) Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

            During the last several days, even weeks and months, current national and world events have been enough to set even the most stable minds into turmoil. Sometimes I think perhaps I’m the only one who can’t seem to settle my thoughts down; but somehow I don’t believe I’m all alone. Perhaps together we can find the still calming voice of our Savior comforting us that he knows and understands our anxious thoughts. He longs to provide the peace our minds need if we will just find his presence in the stillness of his gentle whisper.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            Thank you for your still calm voice that quiets our anxious thoughts. Help us clear our cluttered minds and focus on you.

            In the name of Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment