Friday, January 1, 2021

What's in a name?

Write From My Heart / January 1, 2021 / What’s in a name?

Exodus 33:12-17 (NIV) Moses said to the LORD, “You have been telling me, ‘Lead these people,’ but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. You have said, ‘I know you by name and you have found favor with me.’ If I have found favor in your eyes, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people.” The LORD replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” Then Moses said to him, “If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?” And the LORD said to Moses, “I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name.”

            Perhaps this is my favorite story in the Bible because it covers so much that is important even today. Moses had a wonderful relationship with the LORD (and remember when LORD is used in all capital lettering it denotes the divine name of Almighty God). We are told just a few verses earlier: The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend (v. 11). Moses could speak from his heart to the LORD in total honesty. Moses kept no hidden secrets.

            On this occasion, Moses knows that God wants him to lead the Israelites, but he has no clue exactly how that will happen. He remembers God has told him many times: 1) I know your name, 2) You have found favor with me. Important: Notice Moses’ actual request is not for material goods, health, welfare, or anything else! Moses’ actual request is teach me your ways so I may continue to 1) know you, and 2) find favor with you. Wow!

            As the interaction continues, God promises to send his Presence (Holy Spirit) with Moses, and Moses quickly responds that if God’s Presence doesn’t go then he doesn’t want to go either. Moses clearly recognizes that it is God’s Presence in his life that distinguishes him from all the other people on the face of the earth. So the question comes for us to reflect if God’s Presence in our lives is what distinguishes us from all other people on the face of the earth. Do people see the Lord through us? Do we have any distinguishes mannerisms or characteristics that would allow others to recognize we are Christians simply by hearing our name or knowing who we are?

            As the interaction concludes, God agrees to grant Moses’ request because as he reminds Moses… 1) I am pleased with you, and 2) I know your name. And this, dear friends brings us full circle to us today. As we begin this new year of 2021, can we say 1) God knows my name, and 2) God is pleased with me.

Proverbs 22:1 (NIV) A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.

Isaiah 43:1 (NIV) “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are mine.

Revelation 3:11-12 (NIV, promise of Christ) I am coming soon.  … I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on him my new name.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            Names are important. You know my name, and the name of every Christian who has ever lived, who is living now, and who will ever live in the future. The question comes, when others hear our names, do they also hear yours? Grant that we might go with the presence of your Holy Spirit and that others might see you through our daily lives.

            In the name of Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment