Friday, January 15, 2021

Whatever You Ask

Write From My Heart / January 15, 2021 / Whatever You Ask

Matthew 21:22 (KJV) And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing ye shall receive.     (NIV) If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.     (NLT) You can pray for anything, and if you have faith, you will receive it.

John 14:13-14 (KJV) And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.     (NIV) And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.     (NLT) You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father. Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!

John 15:7 (KJV) If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.     (NIV) If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.     (NLT) But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted!

            The scriptures noted above have been provided in three different translations to make the message absolutely clear. One of the greatest biblical misconceptions is the idea that you can get whatever you want—whenever you want—however you want, just by asking.  One of the most tragic biblical misinterpretations is that you didn’t get what you asked for because you didn’t have enough faith. One of the greatest misunderstandings is thinking our request qualifies as long as it’s something we assume (at least in our opinion) is “a good thing” to ask for. 

            To put these texts in scriptural context, Christ was speaking to his disciples. He had just washed their feet to indicate he had come in obedience and service to his Heavenly Father—our Heavenly Father as well. He was in the midst of explaining the events that would soon follow and his disciples had many questions. The time of Christ’s earthly ministry was rapidly coming to a close, and in its place would begin a new phase of growth through the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The critical message was that of continued obedience and faithfulness. Remaining rooted and grounded in Christ would be the only way for the disciples to persevere in coming times. The same is true for us today—remaining rooted and grounded in Christ is the only way we can persevere in today’s unsettling times.

            As for requests the disciples might have had, and as for the requests we might have today, the response of Christ was clear. Whatever the request might be, it must above all be such that Christ would be able to glorify his Father. My heart tells me the same is true today. We must be so grounded in our faith that our requests are in line with those things that glorify our Heavenly Father. We might think this, that, or the other might be a “good” thing to ask, or a “beneficial” thing to ask; but if it does not ultimately honor God and bring glory to his name, then it is a request purely of our own desires no matter how “right” we think it is at the moment.

            Now having said this, I am quick to add I think it is completely appropriate and obedient as a Christian to bring to God in prayer all the concerns of our heart. It is completely appropriate to ask for guidance, strength, steadfastness, as well as attitudes of love and mercy. Those things always bring glory to God for when they are displayed consistently in our life others will be drawn to the Lord. Asking for healing is the right thing to do, however remember this; we have already been promised healing to be delivered on the day of Christ return. So in a sense, that prayer has already been answered affirmatively even if we have to wait for it. Waiting for something (such as healing) that has already been promised does NOT indicate a lack of faith on the part of the Christian in need! We do not control God’s timing! In fact, I would be bold enough to say there is greater faith in persevering through current pain while one must wait for the promise of future healing. Dear friends, be oh so careful not to judge others’ physical problems as a lack of faith! Their faith may be greater than yours. Our only job is to see that any and all of our requests are in line with what brings glory to the name of our Heavenly Father and in line with what honors him.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            Thank you for opening our hearts and minds to your word, especially when the topic may be a difficult one to understand. We know you listen to our prayers and you are faithful to respond. Sometimes we forget that you have already provided answers. Help us to remain rooted and grounded in Christ and live a life that leads others to you.

            In the name of Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment