Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Plans for Making Plans

Write From My Heart / January 20, 2021 / Plans for Making Plans

Proverbs 21:30 (NIV) There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the LORD.

Psalm 33:11 (NIV) But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations.

Proverbs 16:9 (NIV)  In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.

James 4:13-17 (NIV) Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil. Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.

            I have a lot of plans for this coming year. I’m pretty sure you do as well. So, do these scriptures mean we shouldn’t be making any plans? Of course not. If you re-read the James passage, the author is clearly saying we should be doing what we know is right and good, because it is in failure to do what we know we ought to do that we err; it is in planning for our own self-promotion or self-gain that we err. The whole point of these verses, at least in my mind, is that when I make plans—daily, yearly, long range—I should be doing so with the clear understanding that God has ultimate control and his plans may differ from mine. What it tells me, is that before making any plans I should be prayerful and have confidence that what I plan to do is in line with those things that are right and good according to God’s word.

            So how does all this work in the everyday nitty gritty of life? Well, I’m pretty sure God would want me to keep a clean home, and although I’m good at that, there is still plenty of room for improvement. When I make plans to spend time on cleaning projects that’s the right thing to do. I’m confident God has given me a small talent for writing and when I make plans to spend time in that activity I’m sure I’m making a good choice. I know beyond doubt that God wants us to encourage one another, so making plans to write or call someone (or visit when we are able) is also something that is a good plan. God wants me to take care of myself, so I know plans for future medical appointments is part of that good plan.

            My cousin just gave me a wonderful gift called a Christian Planner. I have never seen a planner quite like this nor one that includes such details and I am so excited to begin using it! Yet I know as I fill its pages that God has plans for my life. Those things I want need to be in line with what I know to be good and right according to God’s word through prayerful consideration. And even beyond that, I need to remember that God’s ways are greater than my ways and his thoughts far beyond my own. Finally, I need to be ready and willing to obey when my plans are interrupted by some plan or opportunity God places before me.

Proverbs 16:3 (NIV) Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            Thank you for giving us clear instructions in your Word. We know in our heart those things which are good and right and those things to which we should be making plans. Now, remind us that what you have planned for us comes first over any of our own plans. Grant us a ready and willing, obedient spirit to seek you first in all that we think, say, and do, and to complete the tasks and opportunities you provide.

            In the name of Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment