Monday, August 19, 2024

Half Full or Half Empty

Luke 6:45  A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.

            Today’s devotional may seem at first to be slightly more convoluted than most, but if you stay with me, I think you will see the point. We’ve often heard about someone whose glass is always “half full” or “half empty.” The irony is the glass has the same quantity of contents for both; it is only the perspective of the viewer that is positive or negative.

            This same thought occurred to me while I was watching a baseball game on television yesterday. While the vast majority of fans cheered on their team, it seemed there was always a handful of fans (usually facing cameras they knew to be in place) who would yell derogatory comments and make distracting gestures to the opposing pitcher. It occurred to me the folk cheering on their respective team to victory were “glass full” sort of folk. The few who seemed focused on making sure the opposing team lost were “glass empty” sort of folk. All fans desired to achieve the same result of victory for their own team, but the difference was the positive or negative means employed to achieve that result.

            Today’s scripture reminds us that out of our mouths comes what our heart is full of—either positive good, or negative (call it what it is) evil. So our question is simply this:

Good or Evil?  With what are we filling our heart?

            Now before you tell me, “Yes, but even King David wished ill for his enemies,” let’s take a closer look at that thought. A classic example of this can be found in Psalm 139:19-22. Take time to find and read it. While your Bible is open, I want you notice the verses that immediately follow, (vs. 23-24) because it tells the true story. David follows his request for ill-will on his enemies with immediate repentance.

Psalm 139:22-23  Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

            I’ll ask again: Good or Evil?  With what are we filling our heart?

 

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            We are called as Christians to be good people who reflect your love to others. Forgive us when we become absorbed in the negativity around us. Search our hearts and purge all that is offensive to you. Lead us in the way that is everlasting.

            In the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, Amen.

 

The devotional Half Full or Half Empty appeared first on Write From My Heart at https://writefrommyheartblog.blogspot.com

email: Dotty Willmon, writefrommyheartblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment