Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Rocks are Hard

Matthew 7:24-27  Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.

            Years ago when the boys were very little, our eldest son asked his grandmother to paint a picture of rocks. Her response was hesitant as she replied, “I don’t know, rocks are hard.” And of course the phrase rocks are hard has remained a family favorite solution for many situations.

            To offer a little background on our text today, these words spoken by Jesus come at the end of Matthew chapters 5-7, often referred to as The Sermon on the Mount. This was not just a collection of random stories, but well-thought and well-taught lessons to establish the working qualities and ethics in his disciples.

Matthew 4:25-5:2  Large crowds from Galilee, the Decapolis, Jerusalem, Jedea and the region across the Jordan followed him. Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, and he began to teach them.

            Jesus was teaching his disciples. I have no doubt that many others would also hear his message, but it was to his disciples Jesus gave his focus, knowing they in turn, would spread these lessons to others. The lessons concluded with the charge to put Jesus’ words into practice, a charge given to his disciples, and still applicable to us today. It isn’t enough to hear (or in our case read the Bible), we must make practical application of these truths in order to have that solid foundation which is built on Jesus Christ, our Lord.

Psalm 18:2  The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Psalm 18:31, 46  For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the Rock except our God? … The LORD lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God my Savior!

Isaiah 44:8  Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one.

            Our youngest son’s favorite hymn since childhood has been “The Solid Rock” and it seems appropriate to close with those lyrics written by Rev. Edward Mote.

The Solid Rock

My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;  I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

When darkness, veils His lovely face I rest on His unchanging grace;  In every high and stormy gale, My anchor holds within the vail.

His oath, His covenant, His blood support me in the whelming flood;  When all around my soul gives way, He then is all my hope and stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound O may I then in Him be found,  Drest in His righteousness alone, Faultless to stand before the throne.

On Christ the Solid Rock, I stand; All other ground is sinking sand, all other ground is sinking sand.

 

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            Thank you for salvation through your only begotten Son, Jesus Christ. Thank you for your written Word in which we find the teachings that set us on a solid foundation for standing firm in all of life’s circumstances.

            In the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, Amen.

 

The devotional Rocks are Hard  appeared first on Write From My Heart at

https://writefrommyheartblog.blogspot.com

email: Dotty Willmon, writefrommyheartblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment