Thursday, December 10, 2020

Audits & Resolutions - Day 10

 Write From My Heart / December 10, 2020 / Audits & Resolutions – Day 10

 Question: Am I obedient in the small things of life?

 Jeremiah 7:23 (NIV) Obey me, and I will be your God and you will be my people. Walk in all the ways I command you, that it may go well with you.

 Galatians 6:9-10 (NIV) Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

 2 Thessalonians 3:13 (NIV) And as for you, brothers, never tire of doing what is right.

            Many people spend their entire careers and lives in service for others and how blessed we are that they have chosen such pathways in life. I am thankful for each one who serves others through military services, emergency services, medical services, science and laboratory services, mechanical services, factory services, and community services. I am so grateful for what they provide for others.

            A quick look around shows that even people without technical training, even common people like me, are given a myriad of opportunities to serve others. Every time I am in a line at the grocery store it is a small effort on my part to allow others with fewer purchases to go ahead of me. It doesn’t bother me at all to be patient at a 4-way stop sign even when knowing that it really is my turn to proceed but still allowing that impatient driver to go first. I see situations like these as opportunities to do the right thing—just because it’s the right thing to do. One of my most fulfilling satisfactions was the day I called the grocery store manager to report a bag boy for his excellent service. The manager told me he cringes when he gets a call and hears the word “bag boy” because it’s usually not a good thing. He was genuinely surprised that someone would take the time to call in a compliment. The irony is that it never really took time away from my day to do that one simple thing.

            It is clear the current pandemic/isolation causes stress to many people. Perhaps that is where we as Christians can make the most positive changes. Resist the urge to answer someone else’s stress with your impatience. Take time to do the right thing, and never grow weary of opportunities to brighten someone else’s day. It is the obedience in small things that matter.

Resolution: Utilize opportunities to do what is right.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            Thank you for those who dedicate their lives to various forms of service. We value them. Forgive us when we hesitate in the opportunities you give us to show your love through patience and simple tasks. Give us a willing heart to do what is right in every opportunity.

            In the name of Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment