Saturday, December 19, 2020

Audits & Resolutions - Day 19

Write From My Heart / December 19, 2020 / Audits & Resolutions – Day 19

Question: Do I hear people, or do I listen to them?

Psalm 49:1 (NIV) Hear this, all you peoples; listen all who live in this world…

James 1:19 (NIV) Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry…

            A few days ago I used the James text with reference to being cautious in how we speak. Today I would like to place the emphasis on listening. Often we use the words hearing and listening interchangeably as if they are synonyms and perhaps there are appropriate times to do so as in the Psalm 49:1 noted above. However I believe there is a difference between hearing and listening that should not be overlooked. Most dictionaries define hearing as taking in sound waves, whereas listening has more to do with comprehending or making sense of what is heard. In other words, I can hear someone speaking without paying a single bit of attention to what is actually said. I have to pay attention, or listen, in order to gain understanding.

            School systems identify different learning styles in order to be more effective in reaching students. I can tell you I am definitely NOT an auditory learner. I am a visual learner—I learn best by watching others, seeing an example, or reading. Teachers could talk all day long and I wouldn’t have a clue what the lesson was about until I went home and read my textbook. My ears take in sounds all the time but listening to someone talk takes great effort and concentration on my part because it does not come easily to me.

            My heart tells me that we are living in a time when the need for listening skills is at an all-time high. People are hurting. People are lonely. People are fearful. It is incumbent upon me to listen to them, really truly listen to them. Only then will I be able to offer hope from God’s Word that addresses their needs. Only then will I be able to lift their concerns to the Lord in my prayers. It will take effort on my part, but what joy there will be in offering encouragement to others!

Resolution: Be a better listener.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            How thankful I am that you not only hear my prayers, but you listen to my heart. You truly know and understand me. Grant me the patience and ability to listen to others.

            In the name of Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment