Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Audits & Resolutions - Introduction

 

Write From My Heart / December 1, 2020 / Audits & Resolutions – Introduction

 Colossians 3:2 (NIV) Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.

            Believe it or not, the year 2020 is drawing to a close. December is generally the month we look back in review of the past year and decide to make adjustments in our life during the coming year. Sometimes I wonder, why? I could make a resolution about money; but come December 31, 2021, I’m either going to have more money or less money than I do right now. I could make a resolution about my weight; but come December 31, 2021, I’m either going to weigh more or weigh less than I do right now. I could make a resolution involving time; but come December 31, 2021, I’m going to have the same number of hours and minutes in a day as I do right now. Some of the latest statistics show something like only 8% or 9% of resolutions are kept, while something like 80% or 90% of resolutions fail by February. Resolutions involving fitness or weight rank in the top 70% of resolutions made each year.

            What is the goal or purpose of a resolution? By definition, making a resolution is a way to have or show that you are determined to take a course of action for some future purpose. In most cases it seems we make a resolution because we perceive a problem that needs to be fixed.  Examples might be in the case of too little money—a resolution to save more money; in the case of too much weight—a resolution to lose more weight; in the case of time management—oh well, let’s talk about it later. (Yes, that was intended to be humorous!) So why is the failure rate so high? I believe it is simply because we lose focus of those things that are truly important and lasting and too often follow the whims of the world’s definitions of success.

            During this month, I hope to provide 31 days of question and answer style devotions to examine where we are in our lives, and to explore ways we might improve our Christian walk in the coming year. I would like to thank two Pastors for their original messages that have greatly inspired this December series. Pastor Kenny Latimore of Garner Advent Christian Church, NC, presented a message entitled “Spiritual Audit for 2016” from which I will use many of the questions he proposed for taking audit of our lives. In addition, Pastor Andy Strachan of North Dunedin Baptist Church, FL, presented a message entitled “2016 Resolutions” from which I will use many of the goals he presented to his church family to strengthen their daily Christian walk with our Heavenly Father. Having contacted both of these Pastors and having received their permission to use their work, I look forward to sharing this series of short devotions with you.

            To Pastor Latimore and Pastor Strachan, “May the Lord bless you and keep you…” (Numbers 6:24, NIV) as you continue to serve Him. Thank you!

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            As we close another year, we ask your Holy Spirit to guide us in reflection. Show us those areas of importance to you that need attention in our life. Give us the willing spirit to grow deeper in your grace.

            In the name of Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment