Thursday, December 17, 2020

Audits & Resolutions - Day 17

Write From My Heart / December 17, 2020 / Audits & Resolutions – Day 17

Question: How often do I criticize others?

Matthew 7:1-4 (NIV)  Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

1 Thessalonians 5:14-15 (NIV, excerpts) …be patient with everyone.   …always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else.

            For the most part, when I do things, I do them well and usually in a certain way. However I am notoriously slow. I like to take my time, think out the process, organize in my head and on paper and eventually get things accomplished but that drives other people crazy. Consequently I open myself up to a lot of criticism. However if I am honest, it works both ways. There are people who are genius at complicating simple tasks and usually my first response is, “Why don’t they just…?” you can fill in the blank. Criticism is easy to give, yet not always so pleasant to receive. Sometimes I wonder what it really accomplishes. Wouldn’t we be far better off if we simply offered sincere and genuine thanks that they took the time to do what we could not or would not do? Unless we ourselves are willing to take on the additional responsibility ourselves, why are we so quick to criticize? Perhaps we need to learn how to be patient with others.

            So far I have only referenced tasks and criticism of the work of others. There is another manner in which we tend to be critical. That is the tendency to be critical of someone else’s nature or circumstances. I think you know what I mean because I hear it often enough. It usually begins with,  He/she is just mean… just  awful …just rude …just jealous, …just bossy, etc. Jesus Christ taught us that we are not to judge others without first examining our own lives. Perhaps we simply need to learn how to be kind to each other.

Resolution: Judge less. Be patient and kind.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            You know our flaws and failings. You mercifully forgive us. Help us learn how to extend patience and kindness to others as you have so graciously done for us.

            In the name of Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment