Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Audits & Resolutions - Day 29

Write From My Heart / December 29, 2020 / Audits & Resolutions – Day 29

Question: Does my family understand why my faith in God is important to me?

Psalm 71:18 (NIV) Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come.

Psalm 78:1-7 (NIV) O my people, hear my teaching; listen to the words of my mouth. I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter things hidden from of old—things we have heard and known, things our fathers have told us. We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. He decreed statutes for Jacob and established the law in Israel, which he commanded our forefathers to teach their children, so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children. Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Proverbs 22:6 (NIV) Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

            Perhaps one of the most heartbreaking things for a Christian parent is to see a child make choices that lead them further away from Christ instead of toward Christ. In that situation the only thing one can do is faithfully continue in prayer. God does not desire to raise up a people of robots who worship him out of some mandated duty, so ultimately it is the responsibility of each individual person to make his/her own voluntary decision to accept Christ as their Savior and worship the Lord God from a willing heart.

            Perhaps we think since our children grew up going to church with us or hearing a parent teach/preach then they automatically know where we stand in our faith. That may be a valid point but my heart tells me it goes deeper. My heart tells me it isn’t just about showing or telling them what we believe—it’s about telling them why we believe it and why it is important to us. That kind of conversation may be much harder but greatly needed. As with many devotions, I’m not just writing this for you but for myself as well. I know my boys know what I believe and have since they were little guys. But I wonder if I have ever sufficiently conveyed to them why it is so important to me. Perhaps this is a goal we might all strive for in the coming year.

Resolution: Share my faith with my family, both the what and the why.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            Thank you for the gift of future generations whether children, nieces and nephews, or young cousins. May we boldly share not only the Good News of life in Christ, but the importance it holds for future joy of life in your eternal Kingdom.

            In the name of Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment