Friday, December 4, 2020

Audits & Resolutions - Day 4

 Write From My Heart / December 4, 2020 / Audits & Resolutions – Day 4

 Question: Do I have peace at the core of my life?

 Psalm 29:11 (NLT) The LORD gives his people strength. The LORD blesses them with peace.

 Psalm 34:14 (NLT) Turn away from evil and do good. Search for peace, and work to maintain it.

 Romans 12:18 (NLT) Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone.

            Generally speaking, most definitions of peace relate to being free from- or the absence of- conflict. I believe there is more. I believe it has more to do with our willingness to participate in the conflict itself. When someone says something disagreeable to us, do we always have to jump in there and argue our point? This past year alone has been a year full of conflict—everything from wearing a mask vs. not wearing a mask to political differences. And now there is even conflict over whether or not to celebrate holidays with others. We have had plenty of opportunities to participate in conflict by choice during this past year. Perhaps the best question for us to explore is: In these same situations could we also choose to participate in seeking peace?

            It takes a strong person to choose peace, but our Lord gives us the strength we need. Peace is a blessing, and it comes from our Heavenly Father. Perhaps the feature of peace we most disregard in our lives is the feature that requires us to actively turn away from any source of evil (even in our thoughts) and turn our focus toward doing good. The Bible also instructs us to search for peace, and work to maintain it. My understanding is that having peace at the core of my life takes effort on my part, sometimes great effort. And yet, I am instructed to do everything I can to live in peace with everyone. I can only do this with the strength that comes from the Lord.

Resolution: Seek peace.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            You know how easy it is to snip back at someone. This does not honor you, nor does it bring peace to my inner core. We ask your forgiveness when we fail to be peace-oriented people, and we rely on your strength to seek and maintain peace in our lives. Help us to honor you in all things and thank you for your blessing of peace.

            In the name of Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment