Friday, December 11, 2020

Audits & Resolutions - Day 11

Write From My Heart / December 11, 2020 / Audits & Resolutions – Day 11

 Question: Are my words hurtful or helpful?

 Psalm 19:14 (NIV) May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

 Psalm 139:4 (NIV) Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD.

 Psalm 141:3 (NIV) Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips.

 Proverbs 15:1 (NIV) A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

 Ephesians 4:29 (NIV) Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

 James 1:19 and 26 (NIV) Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. [and] If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.

            Do I really need to write anything else? My heart tells me that these verses are completely self-explanatory to anyone who wishes to acknowledge them. I do like the James passage because it reminds me of something my paternal grandmother used to tell me—God made us with two ears and one mouth so that we would listen twice as much as we speak. I remember she had to tell me that pretty often and I’m not sure I ever understood it until adulthood. I remember “Dotty likes to visit with her neighbors,” as being one of the frequent teacher comments on my report cards. I also remember being referred to as a chatterbox in my childhood. Believe me, I know what it is to have chronic hoof-in-mouth disease, or as I call it “my-foot-in-my-mouth” disease. This is one of the lessons I write for myself and not just for others. Together, let’s make some changes this coming year.

Resolution: Think before you speak.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            What I speak is what leaks from my heart—sometimes good, sometimes not so good. You know before I utter a word what consequences will come because I spoke in haste. Forgive me when I blunder. Guard my mouth and give me the patience to think wisely before speaking. In all the things I do or say, may I bring honor and glory to your Name.

            In the name of Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment