Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Audits & Resolutions - Day 30

Write From My Heart / December 30, 2020 / Audits & Resolutions – Day 30

Question: Do others see Christ through me?

Matthew 5:14-16 (NIV) You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

1 Peter 3:15 (NIV) But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.

Philemon v. 6 (NIV) I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ.

            One might think a person whose career was public school teaching to be quite comfortable striking up a conversation with others. It might surprise many of you to know that I am far more comfortable expressing my thoughts through writing than speaking. For one thing, spoken words are nearly impossible to edit or retract, at least not without lingering consequences. Those who know me can remember times I have taught Sunday School (both for children’s classes and for adults), taught at various women’s retreats, even occasionally spoken from the pulpit to fill in on a very few special occasions, countless children’s sermons, taught college courses, and I have also spoken at teacher’s meetings, workshops, and conferences. However all those occasions usually followed a written script or plan and were well-practiced prior to presentation. The very thought of speaking impromptu can produce a fair amount of anxiety.

            Those who choose to follow Christ have been given a great light of hope. It is our responsibility and our duty to share that light with others. For me, it doesn’t mean I need to go knocking door-to-door, but it means I need to be familiar enough with the plan of salvation and what it means that I could share it effectively (e.g., without tripping over my words) with another person without hesitation. I need to know my scriptures and know them well enough to be able to share (including the reference) with any person who engages in conversation with me about why I am a Christian. For me, it means I need to place my fear of impromptu speaking in a public setting into God’s hands and trust him to give me the clarity of thought and speech needed.

A great place to start:

Romans 3:23 (NIV) For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Romans 6:23 (NIV) For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

John 3:16-17 (NIV) For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him hall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Romans 10:9-10,13 (NIV) That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.  … for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Resolution: Be active in sharing my faith with others.

Gracious Heavenly Father,

            By your mercy, love, and grace I am saved. You have given me a great gift and light through your Son. Quench the fears of public speaking and grant clarity of thought and speech to share this gift of Light with others.

            In the name of Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment