Wednesday, May 19, 2021

TERROR

 

Write From My Heart

May 19, 2021

 

TERROR intense fear; consuming dread

 

Luke 21:25-28 (NIV) There will be signs in the sun, moon, and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.

 

Ponder this: At one time or another most people have experienced fear to varying degrees. Perhaps fear of spiders or bugs, fear of snakes, fear of heights or small spaces, or even speaking in front of large crowds. But true terror is something different—it reaches deeper within a person, often rendering them paralyzed until the danger has passed. Thankfully, most of us have never experienced this depth of terror. Yet the Bible tells us that days are coming when men will faint [become useless; paralyzed] from terror that will shake not only the earth, but the heavens as well. I cannot imagine such degree of fear or terror. Yet I know that in all things, God will never forsake his people.

 

Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.

 

Joshua 1:5  As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you or forsake you.

 

Hebrews 13:5-6 [ref. being content with what you have] …because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”

 

I do not consider myself to be an alarmist; yet I know that if we believe the Bible, we must believe the Bible in its entirety. Scripture is clear that the darkest of days will precede the Lord’s return. These days will indeed be fearful—more terrifying than most of us could ever imagine. As those days approach (and it is my opinion that we are standing on the edge of those days) it will be the responsibility of all believers to: First of all; preach the word and be ready in season and out of season (2 Timothy 4:2); secondly, always be ready to explain the gospel and the reason for our hope (1 Peter 3:15); and finally but perhaps most importantly, stay clear-minded and self-controlled so that you can pray (1 Peter 4:7). If the end of all things was near during the days of the disciples, how much closer are they to us today? Our job is to remain steadfast, faithful, and to support those who are weak in the faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment